Week Two of the Ultimate Reset – Meals, Mindfulness, and Meat

A new week, a new phase of the Ultimate Reset. This week – Detox. Yup. Now that my body was prepared, it was time to rid it of all junk that was messing me up. This week included the addition of a detox drink (fiber) three times a day. It did not taste that bad; a lot better than the power greens. It was like taking a shot of liquefied spinach. Yeah, I make that face every time I drink it. And since we are on the subject of detox, I guess we need to venture into poo land. Yes, I did go and yes it was healthy. And I am done with that topic.

The meals stayed the same: fruit for breakfast (strawberries, blackberries, blueberries. and raspberries). Where have blackberries been my whole life?? I could eat (and have) 2 cups of them with no problem. I took my Veggie Stir fry for lunch and had a huge (1 bunch of romaine lettuce huge) Greek salad, with only 5 olives (first time in my life I counted the olives I was eating) for dinner. Also for dinner, I had an amazing corn and edamame succotash and sweet potato. OMG! These are my new favorite meals. And this week, I kind of got it right with the grocery shopping, just had to make one quick stop at Trader Joe’s. Although it took almost two hours, it was a most productive two hours. I actually enjoyed cooking. I mean a lot. I baked all the sweet potatoes at once and put them each in a sandwich bag. Into the fridge they went. I also bagged my fruit for breakfast. It made packing lunch and reheating dinner a breeze. As the week went on, I was in the groove. Eating, drinking a whole bunch of water, yoga, and meditating. 

Yes. I started practicing yoga and meditation. They say that you get more out of meditating while on a detox or cleanse. Clean your body, clean your mind. And they weren’t kidding. Between 10 minutes of meditating and 30 minutes of yoga, I am the calmest and most centered I have been in my life. I genuinely feel like I am living in the moment. The first day of yoga was painful. I was tight. Like couldn’t touch my toes tight. It was awful. But in that moment when I felt like if I moved another centimeter that my hamstrings would pop, I knew this is what I needed. This is what I needed right now, to clear my head of all the negative voices and just be me. Just Be Bianca. And meditating? Whoa. I downloaded an app, Calm. It provides guided meditation as well as a 7 day intro into mediation. Phase II is seven days… Perfect timing Universe! By the second day, I couldn’t function without it. I mean I could, but something felt off about my day. Who knew that sitting still for 10 minutes listening to beach sounds would do a wonder of good? It does and I am going to stick with it.

I was on a roll. Everything was on point. And then Saturday happened.

I knew that I was going to the pool. I knew that there would be drinks at the pool. I told myself that I would not drink and find something on the menu to eat. I did eat hummus, veggies, honey dew, and cantaloupe. I did have 2 Grapefruit Summer Shandys. If you like Shandy beer, please taste this. It is amazing. Get off the wagon, get back on. Later that night, I watched as the rest of my family devoured ribs, fried chicken, potato salad, and greens with bacon (“she can’t eat them, put the bacon in”) while I enjoyed my edamame and corn succotash and sweet potato, staying away from the sangria. I bid my family adieu and went home. And then the real half Gainer off the wagon happened. Some people at my apartment building were having a cookout. I was embracing change and felt the need to be more social. Yeah you know what happens next, drinks and food. But not just any food: Chicken Kabobs, hot dogs, pulled pork. Yeah. I dove head first off of the wagon into a meat-filled kiddie pool.

The next morning I woke up with no hangover (thank goodness), but lethargic. Like, I could not function lethargic. I had absolutely no energy at all. I blame the meat. Before the Olympic swan dive, I would pop up out of bed and get going. Not that day. And finding Thundercats on Amazon Prime did not help the situation either. I did not want to get out of my comfy cocoon, but I did. I got back right on the wagon like Saturday night didn’t happen. For the first time in a while, I didn’t rake myself over a bed of hot coals for what I did. I channeled my inner Elsa and let it go. And that felt damn good. I’m starting to understand that shit happens and to acknowledge it and move on. And that’s what I intend to do.

What else…. Oh, I am getting the best sleep ever, like baby wrapped in a blanket sleep. There are some days when I fall asleep at 9. Seriously, I’m yawning by 8:30 and out by 9:15. Then there are days when I can’t fall asleep. I play my iPad or check Facebook a hundred thousand times before I doze off. And there have been dreams, weird dreams that don’t make any sense at all. I can’t remember any of them, but I did have them. I have drank more fluid this week than the law allows, so much so that I have to get up in the middle of the night even though I stopped drinking any fluid around 6pm. I have no idea why, but it is slightly annoying. There have been breakouts. They say that this can happen during weeks 2 or 3, but I was not expecting bacne. Not a lot, but enough to say, “It’s working.” And I did go to the doctor, perfect bill of health! Even my blood pressure was perfect (122/79), and I hadn’t heard that in forever.

14 days down, 7 days to go. There is no turning back now. You start, you finish. You get off the wagon, you get back on. You do you. That’s all anyone can ask for.

Later Days,




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *